Handbags are awesome. Not only do they carry our essentials, they also pull together our look and easily upgrade our wardrobe. Unfortunately, it’s hard to find ones that’s don’t suck.
Often, handbags aren’t ergonomic or very functional even if they look nice. And sometimes the most functional handbags are the ugliest. The average woman owns about 21 handbags and buys a new one every three months or so. Since handbags can cost upwards of a couple of hundred dollars, you want to makes sure your investment is worth it.
Here are a few tips when considering your next handbag. At Posh we want you to have a happy marriage between great looks and practicality.
Style and Purpose
- What will you carry in it?
- What outfits will you wear with it?
- How will you actually wear it? If you are looking for more of an everyday bag, you may prefer a lightweight cross-body bag rather than a leather satchel with short handles. For work, you might choose a classic shoulder bag that’s roomy enough, perhaps, to carry a small tablet.
Handbag Fit for your Body Type
- The size of the handbag should be proportionate to your body type
- The shape of the handbag should be opposite of your body type
- The length of the handbag – where the bottom hits the body – emphasizes that area
Signs of Crappy vs. Quality Handbags
- Useless pockets or too many compartments – this may seem great for organization but minimize to many pockets, we are all guilty of loosing our keys, a pen, lipstick and credit cards.
- Unreasonably heavy
- Poor straps – if the straps are not adjustable, make sure they are not too long or short for your body.
- Low – quality material: Leather bags should be soft and buttery, not plastic – like, stiff or squeaky. Non – leather bags, such as canvas or fabric handbags should be sturdy rather than thin. They should be coated for weather endurance.
Lastly, when you try out a handbag at the store, be sure to check how it looks on you in the mirror so you choose one that compliments rather then clashes with your style.
With love from the Posh team
Leave a comment